The Ugandan artist R3ign Drops is Catu Diosis’ protégé and one of the young women giving new impetus to electronic music. The PAM Club welcomes her for a delicate, groovy and unique set.
Since the Nyege Nyege Festival took up residence in Kampala it has established itself as a true breeding ground of talents who make electronic music their own. Fond of the emotions that techno or afro house can bring, R3ign Drops uses groove as a meditative subject through her DJ sets. A journalist, poet and model, this young emerging artist broke into her other passion, music, in 2019, during a residency at the Villa Nyege Nyege. Since then, she has played alongside some of the most influential DJs of the moment, as well as for her friend Catu Diosis, who has promoted her on the Dope Gal Africa platform, designed to showcase African artists. R3ign Drops also produced her first track “Endless Trip,” a dark and downtempo breakbeat in the Nyege spirit.
“When I started as a DJ, I was intrigued by the idea of experimenting with African voices and sounds, not only because it spoke to me, but also because it gave me a glimpse of the atmosphere in which they were created. So through this mix, I wanted to capture the atmosphere of Africa that I see, feel and know. I hope you enjoy it.”
1. Alison Maseko feat. Poetic Leestar – Motherland (Edisonsoul mix)
2. Pa Ama – Oops That Hurts
3. Literatura – Night in the Oasis
4. Literatura – Desert Karavan
5. DJ Merlon feat. Toshi – Layla
6. Jerah feat Thantaswa – Cry, Kill, Die (Randy de Deep Bootleg remix)
7. Sixnautic feat. Nomvula – Baleka (Louis Bongo remix)
8. Kususa – Moto Ka Ice Cream
9. Dino & Terry feat. Lizwi – Umuzuzu
10. Black Coffee – Music is the Answer (Dr Feel revisit)
11. Mr Joe – Lost in my Dub